- Nigeria’s Super Falcons to Face Japan in Friendly Match - October 2, 2022
- INEC Warns Against Receiving Funds From Abroad for Political Campaigns - October 2, 2022
- ASUU Strike: Buhari Begs Lecturers to Return to Classrooms - October 1, 2022
Minister of Transport, Mu’azu Jaji Sambo, revealed on Saturday why construction on the eastern rail line had been suspended.
He noted that the contractors of the China Civil Engineering and Construction Company CCEC were forced to suspend work on the rail line due to insecurity and vandalisation of the rail infrastructure.
The Minister during an inspection tour of the project in Port Harcourt said the workers of CCEC had been attacked along Abia State.
Sambo called on the media and judiciary to help unmask and prosecute the perpetrators to serve as an example to others.
He also debunked news claiming the Federal Government had diverted funds meant for the railway construction for other projects which led to the suspension.
“It was fake news because the progress made so far on the project is from the 15 percent of the counterpart funding by Nigeria while the 85 percent to be provided by foreign partners is still negotiated,” Sambo said.
Source: The Nation