My Wife Gasped For Breath Before Me – Bolanle’s Husband Recounts

Mary Ugwuanyi

Gbenga Raheem, the husband of Bolanle Raheem, a Lagos lawyer who was shot dead by a police officer on their way back from church service on Christmas Day has recounted his experience.

The deceased who was pregnant was shot and killed by an officer attached to Ajiwe police station in Ajah, Lagos State.

The shooting sparked widespread outrage, and the Lagos police command has detained an assistant superintendent of police, ASP, and two other officers.

The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba has equally directed a speedy investigation and prosecution of the accused officer.

Recounting the incident on Monday, Gbenga said the shooting occurred when he took his family shopping after church service.

In a voice recording obtained by Punch from one of the lawyers who paid the family a visit, Gbenga said, “On December 25, my wife, nieces, nephews, and cousins, who had come for the holiday, all went to church,” the husband was quoted as saying.

“On our way back, my wife said since it was Christmas Day, we should take everyone out, so, we went to a supermarket at Abraham Adesanya, then to Domino’s Pizza.

See Also: Police Officer Shoots Lagos Lawyer Dead On Christmas Day

“After that, we headed towards Ajah to do a U-turn to come back to Abraham Adesanya.

“When we took the U-turn, we saw policemen stopping some vehicles. As we approached them, they said we should stop, and in the process, we heard a loud sound on my wife’s side window. All of a sudden, I saw blood gushing out of her chest.

“I immediately ran out; my sister-in-law, who was also with us, ran out and held the policeman; he cocked his gun at her too.

“Talking to him was pointless, so I went to see if anything could be done; I saw my wife gasping for breath, and by that time, my sister-in-law had brought the policeman into the car and pushed him into the front seat.

“We drove to a hospital but they said they couldn’t handle it; we eventually took her to Grandville Hospital, where she was confirmed dead. The policemen took her body and put it in the truck; they wanted me to follow them but I said I needed to go and settle my children.”

Source: Cable

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *