Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has said that he had to withdraw his son from public school to prevent other children from being attacked by kidnappers in the state.
Recall that El-Rufai had on September 23, 2019, publicized his son’s enrolment in the school, noting his decision was informed by a desire to lead by example and a testament to the quality education sector in the state.
However, reports say Abubakar El-Rufai, the seven-year-old son of the governor had been absent from school since March.
Pupils and teachers told SaharaReporters that young El-Rufai had not resumed school since March amidst the escalating insecurity and threats to the lives of school children.
The governor confirmed the report in an interview with BBC Pidgin on Friday, saying he got security reports that his son would be kidnapped to see if he would change his mind on paying the ransom.
He said, “We had to temporarily withdraw him because we received a security report that three groups were planning to attack the school and kidnap my son.”
He further said though the school is well protected, he withdrew his son from the school because he feared that an attack on the school could harm other children.
“I don’t think they (kidnappers) would have succeeded because there is enough security in the school to prevent them, but it would expose other pupils of the school to danger.
“We didn’t know the kind of weapon they would have brought. I had taken a stand against payment of ransom, and we had reported that three groups were planning to kidnap my son from Capital School to see whether I will pay the ransom or not if my son is kidnapped,” he added.
This post was written by Obiajulu Joel Nwolu.
The views expressed here belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect our views and opinions.