Two More Miners Found Dead In Flooded Burkina Faso Mine

Chukwuebuka Festus

Two more dead bodies have been recovered from a flooded zinc mine in Burkina Faso, the government said on Saturday.

Millions of litres of water have been pumped out of the site owned by Canadian firm Trevali as rescue efforts continue.

The case has caused outrage in the country.

A total of eight miners had become trapped there by unexpected torrential rain six weeks ago.

At this stage two of the group still remain missing.

Trevali and the Burkinabè government have launched investigations into the causes of the incident at the Perkoa zinc mine, which is about 100km (60 miles) west of the capital, Ouagadougou.

Read Also: Four Bodies Recovered In Burkina Faso Mine

“We’ve brought in experts from all over the world. We’ve got people from Australia, from South Africa, from Canada,” Ricus Grimbeek, the CEO of Trevali Mines Corporation, said about ongoing rescue attempts.

So far none of the bodies have been officially identified.

The eight miners – one Tanzanian, one Zambian and six Burkinabès – were working at a depth of more than 500m.

Perkoa zinc mine has two rescue chambers that are stocked with food, water and oxygen. Loved ones had desperately hoped the miners could make it there safely.

Source: BBC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *